What exactly is silicone?
Let's examine its properties and the main reasons for its wide use.
Silicone rubber is used in a wide variety of product applications, from the industrial and medical sectors to many everyday products.
BLS uses it throughout its premium range of reusable products as an alternative to thermoplastic rubber.
But what are the reasons for this choice?
Silicones are polymers, which are large molecules composed of many repeated subunits. These polymers consist of siloxane - a chain of silicon atoms alternating with oxygen atoms, often combined with carbon and/or hydrogen. Silicon is an element found in sand, from which it is extracted and passed through hydrocarbons.
Compared to other elastomers, silicone rubber offers some specific advantages and BLS employs them in the production of high quality products designed for any profession that requires extreme respiratory protection with a full or half mask.
Our full face mask from BLS 5000 b-lock and universal series features a silicone facepiece both in the version with thermoplastic rubber gasket (BLS 5600 and 5150) and with silicone gasket (BLS 5700 and 5400), because when covering nose and mouth it is even more important to have a material that can guarantee a high degree of moisture protection and better performance in terms of stability and durability.
What are all the advantages of this special material?
- Environmental resistance: Silicone rubber has a high level of resistance to critical environmental factors, including UV radiation, open flames and extreme temperatures.
- Stable to thermal conditions: silicone rubber will retain its shape, durability and flexibility in extreme hot and cold temperatures.
- Moisture sealant: silicone rubber is water-repellent and malleable, making it an excellent insulator.
- Easy to sterilise: silicone rubber can withstand the high temperatures and radiation exposure required by FDA-regulated sterilisation methods, making it a useful material for the medical sector.
- Range of hardness: silicone rubber can be formulated to exhibit different ranges of flexibility and hardness, (better comfort for end users) depending on the needs of the application.
- Durable and reliable: silicone is highly durable and retains its shape and flexibility under extreme conditions, making it a particularly reliable material for use in critical applications.
- Hygienic: Have you ever wondered why so many kitchen utensils are made of silicone? One of the advantages of silicone rubber is its non-porous nature. This makes it resistant to bacterial build-up, which is particularly useful in food and beverage applications where food compounds are best preserved.
Protect yourself with quality products only.
Your health matters.